Newport News, Va. – Newport News fire crews responded to a house fire in the 500 block of Logan Place on Monday afternoon, according to Battalion Chief J. Douglas Carper II.
The call was received at 12:52 p.m. Fire crews arrived at 12:57 p.m. and found smoke showing from the two story apartment.
Firefighters entered the structure and began an aggressive interior fire attack and a search for occupants.
Officials say the residents were not in the apartment at the time of fire.
The fire was declared under control within 10 minutes of crews arriving on scene.
The fire, which began in the kitchen, caused significant damage to the apartment. The apartment has been condemned.
The cause of the fire is considered accidental in nature.
A family of three has been displaced by the fire; however, they will not require assistance from the American Red Cross.
No injuries have been reported.